My Secret Addiction to Pole Dancing Shoes

by Kelly on November 24, 2009

I have a secret.  OK, well maybe it’s not really a secret.  I have an addiction and I can’t quit.  Maybe you have the same problem.  My addiction is high heel shoes!  Any kind of dance shoes… open-toe, closed-toe, sling backs, ankle strap, pumps, boots, patent, sparkly, shiny.  You name it… I have them!

I have close to 40 pairs of pole dancing shoes and boots (that’s not including my casual shoes or office heels).  And I’m still looking for the perfect pair.  I have one or two pairs that come close, I suppose.  Maybe you are on the same search for that perfect pair of shoes.  If so, I have a tip that can help.

The classic favorite pick for pole dancers is shoes that are made of patent or clear plastic.  These kind are great for pole dancing because they are sticky enough to help you cling to the pole when you are climbing it.  But these shoes can be a tricky because they have some special considerations.

Heels that are made with patent or plastic straps WILL stretch.  You’ll want the toes strap to be a little snug when you buy them.  When you are wearing them, the heat of your foot will warm the uppers and they will stretch to conform your foot.Window Display

The Best Trick Ever:
If they are too tight to get your foot in, I have a secret weapon.  It’s a blow dryer.  If you gently heat the uppers with a hair dryer, you will be able to stretch them out to fit your foot.  Warm them up first and then stretch the toe straps out either by hand or by sticking your foot in.  Be careful because the plastic can get hot!  You’ll be amazed at how much they can stretch!  Repeat this process a couple times until the shoes are comfortably snug.

WARNING:  Be careful not to stretch your shoes out too much because you can’t un-stretch them!

Here are two other techniques I have heard work great but I have yet to personally try.

1.  Fill a plastic ziplock bag with water.  Put it in the toe of your shoe and stick it in the freezer.  When the water expands into ice, it stretches your shoe.

2.  For closed-toe shoes, get a cheap bag of hard beans.  Take the beans out of the bag and fill the toes of your shoes with them.  Let them sit overnight.  The beans are supposed to absorb the moisture from the air and expand to stretch to toes of your shoes.

What about you?  Are you a shoe addict like me?  Are you a dance shoe virgin?  Do you have a perfect pair?  Do you have any shoe tricks you can’t live without?

Please leave a comment and let me know!

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Kat November 26, 2009 at 1:47 am

OMG~Kelly, those tips are stellar!
The fact that I AM a high heel addict may come as a shock to those of my friends from MW and Pat’s Portable Empire….40 pair is just the Black ones I own. :)
I have several pair that have not seen the light of the night…much toooo painful, but I will be testing out your tips…it could be just the trick.
Kat~

Kelly November 29, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Hey Kat!
Remember… even if these tricks don’t solve your high heel dilemmas, ALL sexy shoes are meant to see the light of night! If all else fails, go to a nice bar or restaurant, take a seat and cross those pretty legs! :)

Kelly

Geoff Hoff November 26, 2009 at 3:23 am

Kelly,

I have a confession to make – I’ve never worn high heel shoes! :-) (Yes, I did have a pair of platform shoes in the early 70’s – wore them once. Hated them.)

I have always wondered how a woman can balance on them, and admire anyone who can. How do you learn that? They do make a nice leg look even better, though, so I understand the desire to learn.

Kelly November 29, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Hi Geoff!

Thanks for the great comment. I’d love to see you in those platforms! ;)

Balancing on high heels can be a bit tricky but anyone can learn with a little practice. I have some posts coming up that explain how to choose shoes that are easier to walk in. You’d be surprised at what makes the difference. Stay tuned!

Kelly

Felix Cane December 1, 2009 at 7:31 pm

If you are addicted to pole dancing shoes check out http://www.ThePoleDancingShop.com .

Karen Kay December 10, 2009 at 3:57 pm

What a trip, Kelly!

I really am glad to hear the shoe stretching trick. I have very big feet! I do not wear high heals but have a pair of flats that fit funny – too tight in toe and too big on the heel. The only other trick I know, (and don’t want to do) is to wear them wet. Blow dryer sounds much simpler!

Thanks bunches!

Elaine January 3, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Kat, I am so glad you posted that you have 40 pairs of black shoes! I told my hubby about that and now I’m off the hook for the number of shoes I have!

Kelly, I am going to try those stretching tricks next time I want to wear those tight shoes.

Thanks to both of you! You rock.
Elaine

jordan leigh remington April 17, 2010 at 12:54 pm

those tips are perfect!!!! so your saying that, if im normally a 7 1/2 i should by the 7 and stretch them a little so they will fit without getting TOO stretchy right??? lol, and btw the picture you have up, where is it from? im in love with the one that has the UV flames, and i cant find them ANYWHERE!

Millie February 17, 2011 at 4:54 pm

omg omg thank you sooo much for the hair dryer tip!! i was going to send my heels back because they were too tight but now they are fine!!

Kelly February 19, 2011 at 1:15 am

I’m so glad it helped! One more pair of high heels saved… I love my job! :)

rosa January 2, 2013 at 8:08 am

hi there–

i am about to start pole fitness at home and have decided to buy a pair of white pleaser patent thigh high boots. I was wondering if 1) the white is a bad idea (I have SO many black boots I want a change and my red ones have buckles on them) and will scuff, etc easily and 2) if I need to get the wide Pretty Woman thigh high boot or can I get/will the stretch patent do as well of a job helping grip the pole? Thanks!

Kelly January 3, 2013 at 10:54 am

Hi Rosa!

I just LOVE talking about shoes and boots! Since you asked, here are my humble opinions: LOL ;)

1) White is worth the risk. Sometimes they get scuffed up and sometimes they don’t. If you are using them for practices, go for it! If you are using them for performances, “save” them so they are in top shape when looks count.

*IMPORTANT TIP* Make sure to store your white patent away from your black or red patent. If they touch too long, the darker colors can transfer to the white, ruining your boot.

2) Stretch patent will do just as good of a job gripping the pole BUT it’s not as durable. I’ve had chunks of the patent peel off during pole work. If you really want them to hold up, go with the “Pretty Woman” ones.

I hope that helps! Good luck and have fun in your new boots!!! :)