Buying the Perfect Dance Pole – Size DOES Matter (Part 4 of 8)

by Kelly on January 7, 2010

Another important topic that we need to discuss is the size of the pole.  Now I’m not talking about the height here (we’ll get to that when I cover specific brands)… I’m referring to how big your dance pole will be around.

The standard size for a pole is 50mm (2 inches) around.  Recently, some manufacturers have started offering a “petite” or “skinny” version of their poles which measure 45mm (approx 1.75 inches).  Although the smaller poles are recommended for those who are 5′4″ or shorter, the decision about which size to get is not as easy as it may seem.

Which size should I buy?

There are a few things to take into consideration here.  If you plan on participating in any pole dancing compotitions Lil Mynx petite poledown the line, you’ll definitely want to go for the standard 50mm size.  The same is probably true if you are looking for a home pole to supplement studio classes you are taking.  (Check with your studio to make sure that they use the standard size.)  If you take classes on a 50mm pole and practice at home on a 45mm pole, the difference in sizes will impede your progress.

So let’s say you are under 5′4″ with small hands and you want a pole in your house just for fun… should you automatically lean toward the 45mm pole?  Not necessarily.  Remember that you will be holding the pole with other parts of your body than just your hands.  The other thing to consider is your thighs.  If you have a space between your thighs when you stand with your legs together, the 45mm skinny pole may not be for you since your thighs may not be able to grip it.

As you can see, which size of dance pole to get is far from cut and dry.  It’s based so much on personal preference… I have heard of people who loved the petite poles, people who hated them, and those who thought they would love them but didn’t.  Personally, I haven’t had an opportunity to try a 45mm yet, although I am looking forward to it.  If you are having doubts, the safest bet is probably to go with the “tried and true” 50mm pole or see if a studio will let you try out one of theirs first.

If you already own a pole, what size is it?  Have you tried both sizes?  Input and opinions are always appreciated!

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

sharkcrow January 7, 2010 at 9:13 pm

The studio where I take classes has both 50mm and 45mm poles. When I first started doing inverted moves, I prefered the 50mm, but now I’m comfortable with inverts, I’ve moved over to a 45mm pole. I’m only about 5′2, and my hands struggle to even get around a 45mm – I cannot close my hand around a 50mm. I stupidly bought a 50mm (Xpole titanium) for home, which is fine for practicing inverts and tricks, but isn’t so good for normal spins, lifts, etc.

I’m also a spinning girl all the way :) I just don’t think a static is nearly as much fun!

Siobhann November 1, 2010 at 2:39 am

hi! I just recently started pole dancing after about 13 years of more mainstream type dance training and I have to say I am in love with it! On the subject of the 45mm vs 50mm poles, the studio where I take classes has both and I try to alternate between the two. I am 5′11″ so its not like I need to use the smaller pole, but I do find that they are easier to learn tricks on. I think it might be that, even though my hands fit around the regular 50mm pole, the extra little bit of grip on the 45mm pole makes holding on to the pole slightly easier, which in turn makes it easier to hold up my body using my arms. I do make sure that I alternate though, because its easy to go from the 50mm to the 45mm but its way harder to learn something on the 45mm and then try on the 50mm.

Susan H. January 6, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I got a 50mm pole to get tone and have fun at home. I’m just 5′4″ 125 lbs and my hands do not grip all the way around. I can barely hold on plus it’s so slippery I won’t ever be able to build the strength in my arms to do anything I was hoping for. What can I do besides buy a smaller pole? I can’t afford one for a long time. Any tricks I could try, I’m desperate!

Sabrena b April 20, 2012 at 3:06 am

I went for a new pole today and wanted to purchase the new 40mm. YES 40mm but it’s wayyyyyyyy to skinny for my hands and I have pretty small hands. Danced on the 50mm for over 3 years and now changing to a 45mm. I notice I was getting bad hand pain with the 50

Emm August 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

I started pole dancing a little while ago and the studio where I take classes have poles ranging from 45mm to 50mm. I didn’t really find it that difficult to alternate between them (in all honesty, I hardly even noticed they were different), but now that I know they’re different, I definitely prefer the 45mm. I’m 5″3 ish and even though I have about a centimeter gap between my thighs – making it difficult to grip the pole with my thighs, it’s still a lot more fun and easier because my hands are so tiny. Also, it’s a lot more fun on spin than on static – you just need to get used to the speed. :)

Carie December 10, 2012 at 9:09 am

Prices ranges so much for different brands of dance poles. Which brand do you recommend for someone who is just beginning but wants a good pole to advance to that spins, but can’t afford $300-400 for one? We’ve heard Xpole is a good brand but are there other less expensive ones that are well made, spin well and don’t come loose or have to be retightened all the time? Trying to buy one for a gift by Christmas so your quick reply is appreciated

Kelly December 10, 2012 at 10:05 am

Thanks for writing! Yes, Xpole is a good brand. I also like Lil Mynx just as well and they are a little less expensive. I have the powder coated “rotator” pole and love it! It uses one screw in the ceiling for the installation and it can be put up and taken down much more quickly than an Xpole. The down side is that the pole is one piece, so it is not easy to throw in the car to take to a friend’s house.

Lil Mynx is currently running a 10% off sale when you use the code CYBERSALE12 (not sure how long the sale will last). The total with shipping to my area in the U.S. was about $260.00 with the discount! That is an amazing price and I wouldn’t trust a pole that was any cheaper than that. If you decide to buy, please use the links on my Dance Poles tab so that I make a small commission that helps me run this site. :)

Whoever is getting the Christmas gift is one lucky girl!!! Feel free to let me know if you have more questions… either by replying here or shooting me an email. Happy holidays!