Buying the Perfect Dance Pole – A Word About Ceilings (Part 2 of 8)

by Kelly on January 5, 2010

Now that you have decided where you’d like to put your dance pole, we need to have a word about ceilings.  Most (but not all) poles attach to the ceiling at the top so your ceiling is going to largely determine what kind of pole you can or can’t get.

pole in room

Poles must be placed under a ceiling joist to prevent damage to your ceiling.  For the most part, your ceiling will need to be flat and sturdy (see exceptions below).  If your ceiling is made of concrete, you can place the pole anywhere since there are no joists and it is stable enough to handle the pole.  If you have a dropped ceiling, you won’t be able to use a regular pole unless you can lift up the tiles to find a sturdy joist that is hidden.

Now here are a couple exceptions:

• Vaulted (or slanted) ceilings are not supported by all pole manufacturers.  For the manufacturers that do support them, you usually have to purchase an extra attachment.

• If your ceiling is unusable for some reason (too tall, not sturdy, etc.) OR if you don’t have a ceiling at all where picture by Amber Rheayou’d like to dance (are you an outside girl???), don’t lose hope.  Pole manufacturers have recently started making some really good free-standing poles that are supported by a small stage at the bottom.  Although they are a little more expensive, they are fabulous because the pole doesn’t have to be attached at the top.  Some of these are more permanent and others are completely portable.  We’ll go over these options when we look at each specific manufacturer.

So there’s no excuse!  Poles have come a long way in the last few years.  Your options are so diverse now that you can buy a great quality pole to use nearly anywhere!

Do you have a question about your ceiling and how it will work with a dance pole?  If so, let me know through a comment or shoot me an email…

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Brooke November 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm

what about 10′ft ceilings?

Kelly February 19, 2011 at 12:05 am

So sorry about the late response. Somehow this comment slipped past me. Better late than never, right?

Most poles accommodate 10′ ceilings. Lil Mynx are adjustable from 8′-10′ and Platinum Stages offer poles for 10′ ceilings. X- Poles will fit 10′ ceilings if you purchase an small extension piece.

Hope that helps!

Hollie February 1, 2011 at 8:23 pm

My beams arent attached to the concrete on my ceiling. Also the concrete feels more like limestone and sounds quite hollow, can i still put my pole up?

Kelly February 18, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Holly,

I am sending you an email to request more details about your situation. Hopefully, I’ll be able to give you some useful information! :)

Kelly

CMarie February 24, 2011 at 9:07 am

I have a very high ceiling…I think it’s 12 ft…do any of the poles fit that height?

Kelly March 2, 2011 at 7:30 am

Both Platinum Stages and X-Pole have options available for 12 ft ceilings.

If you are really thinking about ordering one, you’ll need to make sure you have an accurate measurement of your EXACT ceiling height to the inch. Also, the height sometimes varies slightly at different parts of your ceiling so you’ll want to measure in the area where you plan to set up the pole.

Please let me know if you need help selecting a pole or if you have any other questions!

Robyn May 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Hi

Do you get poles that are NOT attached to/touching ceilings at all? I would like a permanent pole that attaches to the wall (brick walls) via long brackets.

Like a 90 degree angled bracket (in an L shape) that bolts onto the wall, extends approx. 1.5m into the room, and the pole can be attached to that at the top and bottom.

does such a thing exist or do i need it specially made?
Hope that makes sense
Robyn

janet January 18, 2012 at 7:16 pm

my cieling is only 7′ high and cement. is there any pole that would accomodate that?

Jasmine January 29, 2012 at 8:15 am

My ceiling is just 6′10″, are there any poles that fit this minimum height? I’ve been looking and can’t find any.. .. . Thanks

Becky August 13, 2012 at 6:17 am

Hey :)

I have a ceiling that is ..what would you call it, sponge painted? I also rent and don’t want to leave a mark when we move out. After reading all you have said about poles I have decided to get a spinning pole. Glad I did my homework on that too! I didn’t know some poles just didn’t have that option. Sucks too because the spinners cost a bit more~ Also when your putting up your pole how much space around your pole will you need to clear so you don’t end up kicking the bed, the wall etc? my height is 5.2 if that matters. Also I have a pesky ceiling fan that I’m worried about that is of course right in the middle of everything. I’m thinking I’ll have to take it down. Thank you SO much for all your info too!—

- I agree too that poles have come a long way in the last few years. People can be (funny) about it when they here “pole dance” I say “you all sit in chairs and think nothing of it, but that’s where you’d be sitting for a lap dance” It’s might set. lol

amy August 14, 2012 at 3:06 pm

my ceelings not too hight in my room but has a crack going straight through would that not be safe?

charlotte August 17, 2012 at 12:01 am

Hi,

just wondering how I can test where the joist is in my ceiling because when I knock it all sounds the same? also how can i work out if my ceiling will support my pole?

charlotte